Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

Cabbage here is what I like about debating you - we always keep it civil and if you notice we pretty much always come to at least some sort of consensus at the end. I don't think this will be any different!  First you agree 10 degrees should be a minimum - but remember 10 degrees is at the very tip top of the back of the cage. And if your cage is a bit smaller than 12 ft high then 10 degree already puts you to the top net not the back net. Also as you mention exit velocity is the key. But just as 25 degrees with poor exit velocity is bad the back of the cage with poor exit velocity is a ground ball!  Now I know when these posts get technical and long we don't want to read everything again before we post (I sure don't). But if you did scroll back I think I suggested launch angles from 15-25. Recognizing not everyone is a power hitter. I do think though 10 is too low and the back of the cage is bad. As a former high school coach I can testify with 100% accuracy that you are absolutely correct - hard ground balls and low line drives are much more effective at that level than they would be at the MLB level. But I am just a big believer in training kids for the next level even if it harms my success some in the present. And kids are getting bigger and stronger. Those that care at least. Don't underestimate them!  My son is a marginal baseball talent and is creeping up on 90 off the tee. Wouldn't surprise me if he got there next time we measured. Some of these kids can hit and they need to be taught the MLB/D1 swing. Frankly I am not as concerned about the underachievers. Just like the good lord I want to help those that help themselves!  I think there is too much coddling of the underachievers in this country and not enough encouraging of the hardest workers. The fact you are in this conversation tells me you are open to new knowledge and new ways of thinking. So let's not put you out to pasture just yet!