Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

2020dad posted:

... As a former high school coach I can testify with 100% accuracy that you are absolutely correct - hard ground balls and low line drives are much more effective at that level than they would be at the MLB level. But I am just a big believer in training kids for the next level even if it harms my success some in the present. And kids are getting bigger and stronger. Those that care at least. Don't underestimate them!  My son is a marginal baseball talent and is creeping up on 90 off the tee. Wouldn't surprise me if he got there next time we measured. Some of these kids can hit and they need to be taught the MLB/D1 swing. Frankly I am not as concerned about the underachievers. Just like the good lord I want to help those that help themselves!  I think there is too much coddling of the underachievers in this country and not enough encouraging of the hardest workers. The fact you are in this conversation tells me you are open to new knowledge and new ways of thinking. So let's not put you out to pasture just yet!

Yup, there is certainly some common ground.  I keep referencing "the average HS player" as my point of reference for discussion.  I coach a HS program.  I directly coach V but responsible for the coaches and players at JV as well.  At the present time, we haven't yet split squads and have everyone together.  We are not a big school so I don't have an abundance of high level players in the system.  This is more the norm (or "average") for HS as opposed to those programs loaded mostly with college bound players.  2020, I know your son is fairly big and you and he put a lot of work into his swing and use some of the current tools.  All of those points are slightly outside of the norm so I think your thought process may be influenced accordingly.  

I cannot afford to be unconcerned about the underachievers (or just the typical average HS players).  I need to help them become achievers.  I need to do so within the realistic scope of their abilities and optimal future development within the game.  Remember the numbers.  For most, this is as far as it goes.  We teach for each to maximize his own level of skill, strength, abilities and level of commitment.  For some, that means high level goals and corresponding techniques.  For many others, it's something different.

FWIW, we have the full size 75' tunnels.  A hard line drive to the back of the cage would usually translate into something other than a routine GB. 

Matt Reiland - Yes, I cringed when I saw the Donaldson interview and some of our players were sharing it.  There are things some MLB players do that can be detrimental to most HS players, particularly as it relates to balance and timing.  "Learn the MLB swing" is another dangerous blanket statement, IMO.  Many parts of the mechanics are fundamental necessities and some are not.

Ironhorse -  I totally agree and almost never use numerical degrees when discussing this with the players.  Depending on the individual and the purpose of the drill or focus, we too will use various visual targets.  I only used numbers here as it related to the discussion.

Last edited by cabbagedad