Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

Some more to consider....

This weekend, I was watching highlights of a few of son's current college team from LY games when they won 40  (= successful).  Both games were similar.  One, a 9-3 victory - lot's of scoring.  Every RBI was a single, most of the GB/low line drive variety.  I don't recall a ball in the air that wasn't caught, except for one double over the top - didn't factor in to scoring.  The only other XBH hits I saw were low line drive to the gap that SS, 2B lept for.  2nd game was similar.  While a few examples is certainly anecdotal, I did attend a LOT of college games the last several years and there is a heck of a lot of offense being generated in this same manner (and, yes, of course I saw deep balls as well).    I am also in tune with what approaches are being taught at several other successful colleges. Many are teaching approaches that result in what I am describing.  There is a place for both.  Different approaches for different types of hitters.

MLB - while the spray chart indicates the most effective range may be in that 10-25 degree area, the total MLB average (I believe for the 2016 season) is actually under 10.  What do we attribute that to?  I think pitch location, pitch movement and the reality that there are still different types of hitters at the MLB level all factor in.  Other??

Sorry for reaching the "beating dead horse" level.