Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

Ok cabbage a lot there...  but we always seem to find common ground!  First let me say this my preference is 15-25 degrees not 30. But that was the number on that photo and I gave old school everynpossible advantage on the debate. Optimum launch angle is in the 25 degree area. We were dealing with very very specific parameters. 30 degrees, 350 feet which would lead to approximately 4.75 hangtime. And yes you are correct that exit velocity needed for a given distance varies based on launch angle. I have not surprisingly seen those things you attached. So for the sake of our conversation cabbage let's try to confine it to the main point...  should a varsity player be able to deliver 90mph. Let's isolate on that. First off the 95-96mph avg home run. Sounds like you have done some research cabbage so you probably know that home runs are NOT representative of the highest exit velocity. Line drives and even sometimes one hop ground balls are of higher exit velocity. So those PG kids are certainly capable of 100+ exit velocity in game situations. So when you look at it that way we are now asking if a high school player should be able to produce 90% of that. I don't think there is a shadow of a doubt they should. None of this has anything to do with my son by the way. This is all pure baseball debate. Do you take exit velocities?  

And old school...  I am starting to think you are yanking my chain just to get a rise out of me...  I assure you I have seen hundreds of varsity high school baseball games. Have coaches at two state championship programs and one poor program. And scouted my share of games as well. Not to mention just watching some as a fan. And I have coached many many kids who went on to college and professional careers. 

By the way if you do a lot of perusing of statcast the biggest difference between the MLB guys and the wanna bes is consistency. These guys AVERAGE 90+ mph.  Pretty much any decent player 'can' get to 90 but how often?