Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

2020dad posted:
old_school posted:
2020dad posted:

how bout here.  There are tons of 14's who can hit the ball 350-400. Let's just take the low end of that. 350 feet is 90mph of exit velo.  That translates to about low to mid 80's off the tee. Look at showcase results.  There are a good number of kids who can do that. And in the states that allow hot bats for 14u there are certainly lots and lots.  If we want to talk 15u/freshman I won't say it is commonplace but it certainly isn't rare.  And I would guess at least half of anything decent travel team can achieve that. 

this is a key point, there aren't "tons of 14's" who can do this...your next sentence is "if you want to talk 15u I won't say it is commonplace" you can't have it both ways.

the 14u kid hitting bombs with a balloon bat doesn't sudden get worse over the winter before 15u - he is now using a big boy bat. When you graduate to the real bats you will learn that the math you are so proud of doesn't apply...

Even if the kids are able to generate the EV numbers that you are quoting off a T that just shows how tough it is to square it up. Based on your comments and the numbers you are using the HR and over all power numbers for HS and college should be WAY WAY higher then they are...it is either much tougher then you think or the whole world is stupid.

I realize it is possible that your math is correct and you are just the smartest guy in the room! Real world variables apply, the data doesn't back up the math at the younger levels below college or at a minimum Varsity ball and I am one of the guys who kind of agrees with you!!

Old school...  a little surprised at your tone. We have disagreed before but usually are able to come to some sort of agreement by the time we are done.  So let's try that again.  You are absolutely correct it's really hard in game. The pitcher by the way is bound and determined to get you out.  You might see one mistake per at bat if you are lucky.  You can't miss it.  But just because it's hard doesn't mean we give up!  Still have to try to be the most productive hitter possible. And in the long run squaring it up is a skill some may never acquire.  

And I wouldn't say the whole world is stupid but a lot of it is. The numbers I am so proud of are real.  The stubbornness of a lot of coaches who refuse to accept those are real. There are lots (is that better than tons?) of 14's that are CAPABLE of reaching those velocities.  And BBCOR does in fact change careers.  

And a big part of the lack of home tuns is the coaching to geound ball swings!!!  And of course the pitcher - let's give them hurlers some well deserved credit.  It's their job to put the ball where a hitter can't crush it. If a MLB player goes to the dish 600 times and fails to hit a home run 560 times he's had a great power year!

LOL - ok the bolded and blue I can totally agree with! my wife actually gets mad at me because until proven different I assume I know better!! Maybe it is character flaw but soooo many people lack the ability to use logic...well anyway.

I apologize if I am being a bit rough, am dealing with a few issues at work, yes I do actually have a job that occasionally gets in the way of baseball and golf, I haven't been in the best of moods here in the office lately. 90% of my internet time comes in the office...I do apologize for being short tempered!