Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

Never been a fan of hitting in the cages (obviously it is necessary sometimes, we're in Ohio).  I threw to my son on a field as much as possible when he was growing up....whether it was on a 280' fence when he was 12-14 or on the HS field when he was 15U and up.  As someone said earlier, you get a "visual" that you can't get in the cage....even if you mark the cage somehow.  I would call every ball he hit.....and out or a hit.  Sometimes he didn't like it "center fielder made a diving grab"   but I really do think it made him a better hitter.  In the cage, he would just swing as hard as he could....and have no idea where the ball would have gone.  On a field, he would strive to get 10 straight hits before making an out.  He was never big also had the power to put 5 or 6 straight over the fence on the HS field if he hit it good....but realized that a lot of times trying to go for the fence was just him long fly outs.  He would hit plenty of HR's but in most cases they were the result of a good swing.  He hit 4 HR's his senior year....I really think all the BP we took on the field the summer before was a big part of it