Skip to main content

Reply to "Marking Launch angles in batting cages?"

I'm bumping my old thread because there was a Topic about how the Launch angles translate to lower Exit velos.

I wrote a Little article subsetting different velos for Launch angle ranges and production Output (wOBA). for comparison average wOBA is around .330 so you can see which LA combinations are successfull and which not.

https://www.fangraphs.com/comm...ty-and-launch-angle/

What is interesting that in MLB very soft (below 80) and medium hard hit balls are not really different in production.

below 80 mph league wOBA is .265, 80-87 (87 is MLB average EV) the wOBA is .185 and 87-94 it is .215. So in MLB 71 MPH or 91 doesn't really make a big difference  (both are mostly Outs unless hit at very specific angles). Then at 95-100 you get to .380 and then above 100 it really takes off.

Grounders at low and medium EV are both not very effective. I devided chopped grounders (below minus 10) and "line drive grounders" (basically one hoppers from minus 10 to plus 5). The chopped grounders are always below average and for the flatter grounders you Need to hit it at 95+ to gain above average production (385).

5 to 20 degrees are effective at all EVs, but at EVs below 95 there is a sharp drop in production above 20 degrees (unless in the super soft category- i.e. bloopers). For example at 97-94 the wOBA at 25-30 is just .215 (worse than the line drive grounders).

At higher velos that changes, 95-100 remains effective till about mid 30s and at 100+ you are effective till almost 45 degrees.

That would mean for average HS Players who hit 70-80 off the tee (you can add about 100 MPH to that against live pitching on a well hit ball and probably get similar results in average EV because in MLB top Exit Velo is also about 15-20 mph higher than average Velo ) it is probably best to hit the ball between 5 and 20 degrees.

Last edited by Dominik85