Skip to main content

Reply to "Maybe This Time"

Matt13 posted:
SEC Hopeful posted:
Coach_May posted:

i will get it right? 8 years ago I walked away from coaching HS baseball. I wanted to actually watch my own son play in college. I wanted to see what it was like to just go watch games. I continued to do some scouting and coach showcase. 

Well I am officially the HC at the school I coached at for many years. Since leaving I have reflected on the things I wished I had done. I also have spent just as much if not more time reflecting on the things I wish I hadn't done.

This was a very tough decision. My life has never been in a better place. For every reason I could think this was the right move for me I could think of 10 of why this wasn't a good move for me. 

But in the end it simply came down to me having the opportunity to get those things right one last time. An opportunity to give to others. 

For those who are people of faith I ask for your prayers. Prayers that I will be what I ought to be. Prayers that I will be the coach God would have me be. Prayers that I will give these young men exactly what he would have me give.

I'm not worried about winning on the field. We will win. I need your prayers that I will give them what it takes to win off the field and be the example I need to be.

I understand the awesome responsibility and the weight it carries. Pray that I give them even more than I require. 

Am I missing something? Are you being sent on a mission to an Afghani village without a weapon and being asked to take out all of Isis or something? You are coaching a high school baseball team, man! Seriously????

Well, that would be a challenge, since ISIS isn't in Afghanistan...

Gee, thanks Matt. The point is praying for divine assistance in coaching doing so is ridiculous in my opinion . I would rather he save his request for prayers to those who would really benefit from them, homeless women and children, those afflicted with disease, those living in abusive situations. He isn't charging a hill against a machine gun nest.

There are just far too many coaches who think they have some mission to turn out citizens instead of baseball players. I will raise my son, not you. If your character is such that he takes something positive away from his time with you, so be it and thank you. But that is not what you are there for. Focus on the job, teach and coach the game. Don't take the position that you are there to create young men who are great citizens in the future. That is taking your role a little out of context.