Skip to main content

Reply to "Maybe This Time"

NotThatGuy posted:

SEC Hopeful stated: "...The point is praying for divine assistance in coaching doing so is ridiculous in my opinion . I would rather he save his request for prayers to those who would really benefit from them, homeless women and children, those afflicted with disease, those living in abusive situations. He isn't charging a hill against a machine gun nest.

There are just far too many coaches who think they have some mission to turn out citizens instead of baseball players. I will raise my son, not you. If your character is such that he takes something positive away from his time with you, so be it and thank you. But that is not what you are there for. Focus on the job, teach and coach the game. Don't take the position that you are there to create young men who are great citizens in the future. That is taking your role a little out of context."

Madam SEC hopeful - you don't have a clue as to the impact a coach has on children, and high school players remain children. Any man or woman who doesn't realize the effect he or she has on the team's players is not a coach. And a parent who doesn't recognize that aspect of sport is blind to the benefits of competitive athletics. Teaching the game is so much more than dealing with the mechanics and situations. It has everything to do with understanding the dynamics of the sport, the interactions of player to player, the concept of sportsmanship and fair play, the attention to detail, the pursuit of perfection through hard work, the grace to celebrate victory and accept defeat. And never is a request for divine assistance worthy of ridicule.

Perhaps, Madam hopeful, your world is that of daddy ball, juice box treats, participation trophies and a picnic after the game, but the real world of coaching demands that each and every coach meet his or her fundamental responsibility to assist the players in their journey to adulthood through their chosen sport.

I don't know Coach May. My son didn't play for him but has played for coaches like him throughout his career.  They were not afraid to cast eyes skyward and pray for help. And my son is the better for it. His college decision was made in large part because the school's coaches exemplify the kind of person my son admires and wants to emulate. They help mold young men into contributors to society. From what I've read of Coach May, he is that kind of man and that kind of coach.

I "liked" that and will add that my son is more likely to listen to parental like advice from his coach rather than his parent. I hope to God my sons coaches feel it is their job to turn out a good citizen and a good ball player.