Skip to main content

Reply to "Maybe This Time"

Well I figured I would give an update on my journey. Our first game was rained out yesterday so we will play our first game Friday and follow that up with our second game Saturday. We have played one scrimmage so far.

I don't know where to start so this might be a rambling type of post but here goes. I will be the third head coach these Seniors have had. These guys have had a tremendous amount of success during their HS careers. State Champions when they we Freshman, Runner Up State Champions as Sophs, Eastern Final's (One win away from State Finals) last year. We return some very good players and some guys who have not played very much but will need to this year.

I have been extremely happy with the way these guys work. They are very serious about getting better and very coachable young men. There are some things we have and will be working on very hard like base running, cut game, and situational baseball that quite honestly are lacking. But the fact is those things are much easier to deal with than a lack of talent.

I have found myself to be much more of a teacher of the game now. I have found that I rarely if ever get on a kid. It's almost always a one on one quiet approach and a teaching type of thing. Our practices are very structured and planned out. We hit live against our pitchers almost daily. I am fortunate that I have 8 guys who can actually pitch. We scrimmage a lot and work on situational baseball daily.

My day's are very long. I get up at 5 and don't get off the field until after 8pm. Usually I get home around 8:30 8:45 and have about an 1 to hour 1/2 before I need to go to bed. I am reminded daily on why I love coaching being around these young men. I am also reminded daily that this is an awesome responsibility that I do not take lightly. I am excited about watching my boys compete against someone else. In our scrimmage we threw 8 guys in 8 innings. We struck out 16 batters issued 2 BB made 1 error and gave up 4 hits. We won the scrimmage 11-2. We collected 8 hits walked 8 times and only struck out 3 times.

My parents are outstanding people. They are very supportive. We have a chance to be very good. I have a LHP who has committed to a local D1 a RHP who has committed to a D1, a LHP who has committed to a local JC and a couple of JR RHP who can really pitch as well both mid 80's. My Head Assistant played for me and he is like a son. He played at NC State and was a 2nd round pick by LAD. To say it's awesome to have him by my side every day is an understatement. I look forward to what is ahead and will check back in from time to time.  I will miss my son's big weekend series so that a bummer. They are up to #3 in the nation D2 polls. Some things never change. I'm still missing stuff for the same reasons. My son is excited I'm back at it. My wife? Well for right now I'm still married!