Skip to main content

Reply to "Measuring Ball Exit Speed"

ABSORBER posted:
TheJR30 posted:

does perfect game allow you to use your own bat. if not what sizes and models are available. I think my marucci with lizard skin is pretty comfortable for me .

Not for exit velocity.  Just BP and games.

They use wooden bats with the Diamond Kinetics (Zepp is out) module built-in. Not sure of the actual brand of bat.  As stated earlier, there are two lengths--my son told me he had to use the one appropriate for his class.  I think freshman and sophomores (and younger) were instructed to use the shorter bat (32" I think) and juniors and seniors were instructed to use the 33".

Exit velocity at PG showcases is measured (at this time and last few years) by Pocket Radar off of a tee--same unit for all showcase participants at that particular showcase.  That's the idea anyway--not sure if they have a backup in case of malfunction.  Sometimes the radar has been behind the batter (ball hit away from unit) and sometimes ball was hit at the unit.  Not really sure if there is a difference.  I have a Pocket Radar and it appears be be about the same regardless. Sometimes you will see exit velocity grouped with other metrics and not listed under "Pocket Radar".  I'm pretty sure these are in-game exit velocities using the same gun used for measuring pitching velocity and other position velocities (NOT Pocket Radar).

I think PG does a GREAT job normalizing all statistics at their showcases.  This is why their numbers are much more accurate across the country than PBR's (in my opinion).  I have seen PBR events where the gun is 30 feet away from the tee and some where it is 6 feet.  Positional readings are always read at the same position at all PG showcases--I have seen PBR events that vary (catching velo behind second base in some and behind catcher in others).  I'm not sure if there is a difference but I like to see a standard applied at PG.  I think that's called scientific method???!!!!   ;-)

As I have seen stated elsewhere on this site, "mileage varies" at PBR events as they are actually franchises and I'm not sure they follow a particular national standard. I know that my son's exit velo at one event was taken during BP and at another it was taken off a tee.  Same spot on profile yet can be very different results! And that's not even taking pitching velocity of BP pitcher into account!!!  The static tee with a wooden bat (the SAME wooden bat) is a way better measurement standard.

Thanks for the helpful response. Very in depth and detailed