Skip to main content

Reply to "milb wages may be exempted by lobbyists"

2017LHPscrewball posted:

Don't you guys need some type of disclaimer about the quality of services provided is no greater is no greater than the services provided by others?

I've got to ask again - assuming an individual is deemed a "seasonal employee" or "artist", what, if any, labor requirements must be made relating to wages?  Does this line up with the idea of someone being an unpaid intern (a practice that many companies have abandoned)?

The legal guidelines for an unpaid intern are pretty strict. The internship must be an extension of an already paid job - any performance must be a compliment to the work of a paid employee. You can't take on an intern to do a job that you would otherwise have to hire an employee to do. The test is that if the intern weren't around and you'd have to actually pay someone to do what the intern is doing then it's not an internship. This is the legality of it. However, in the real world, it doesn't really work that way. I spent 9 months after law school working as an "unpaid intern" 40+/hrs a week as a law clerk just to be in place when funding came through for the position to be paid. My work definitely didn't legal fit into the definition of "intern."