Skip to main content

Reply to "MLB and the ruse of "Save America's Pastime""

There is kind of some perverse hypocrisy going on.  Lots of folks yap about the low (almost non-existent) pay being part of the struggle that makes or breaks these kids.  Heaven forbid, if you had some minor leaguer making upwards of $2,000/mo then they would probably sit around eating bon bons.  But that is not the case.  They make closer to $1,000(in-season) and still eat bon bons (actually ding dongs but they are kind of the same).  I am quite certain all those skills learned to stretch a dollar (how one cooks spaghetti in a microwave) are really useful on the diamond.  I really have no idea how those first round guys with the big bonuses end up learning  all this valuable information (like how to stuff PB&J sandwiches into your uniform pockets without getting any jelly stains).

2020DAD - You are suggesting that economics play a role in player selection.  I'm not talking about getting rich, but rather removing much of the low level hassle that comes with making $5,500/yr for 5 months in-season and whatever amount of time outside the season.  Not saying they should all be making $36K/yr, but don't push people out simply because they don't have anyone to borrow anymore money from.  Double their pay to $11,000/yr and make some of that payable on the front end and the back end of the season.  Very few people of going to stick around making $11K/yr, but at least it would remove most of the hassle factor and maybe let them splurge on that fancy gel pillow they always wanted for the bus ride.