Skip to main content

Reply to "My Son Wants to Quit Baseball..."

quote:
Originally posted by KnightTime:
You can't be serious, can you? I can't tell if this is sarcastic or serious.

Actually, it's quite accurate in what's written here. HS coaches do make a lot of mistakes. , There's booster club parents who's kid could get a slight edge unless he's a legitimate star. Then it don't matter who's on the booster club. Younger brothers of star players coming into a system are at an advantage Also, these coaches may not know the players they got as well as those who coached them before the HS coaches got them. Quite often, there's players who get an opportunity who clearly arent ready and there are others better suited who get screwed for one reason or another, even at the HS level.

However, things out of a players control such as success of the team. If the team's going well, the coach may be less likely to make changes or open up opportunities where if a team's struggling, the coach might give more shots to players to prove themselves. Sometimes timing is everything.

My son somewhat flew under the radar for about 2½ seasons until the varsity coach brought him up late in the season for very limited action.

I gave him some advise going into this season. I told him to to continue play the game right, be smart, hustle, hit the snot out of the ball as he always has, and make the coach look like an idiot for not playing him. Make it that it's the team's loss for not playing. He already knew that though. He just needed a shot.

My kid went basically from role/part time player in the preseason to full time starter batting 3rd for varsity by time the season started.

So while there may be things the player can't control, there are things the player can control and if they show they can play, some of them will get their chance to prove it.

My son had a small window to prove himself, didn't have the luxury of getting called up as a young player and make his mistakes. Nobody handed him anything. He took advantage of his opportunites and made the most of it. That's all they can do.
Last edited by zombywoof