Skip to main content

Reply to "National Letter of Intent"

quote:
Glad your son is happy and had parents willing to let him chase his dreams.

For the most part, I think the vast majority of parents/posters on the HSBBW support chasing the "dream" whatever that means from son to son.
One distinction I consider quite important for the DI dream in the post of Calisportsfan as contrasted with the OP is the former says her son had a number of DI coaches who were very interested and communicating and providing walk on assurance.
The OP says a DII is very interested,but there is little to no interest, especially now, from DI coaches. All the DI interest is one direction, from and with the son/player. My impression is allball1 is doing a very nice job of staying grounded with the information for their son just as Calisportfan was with her son and the information they were working from last December.
To a very large extent, it does not matter what DI dreams and/or talent a player possesses by the time they are a HS senior and unsigned. If DI coaches are not expressing solid interest and usually more than one, that silence is some communication. While that DI interest can certainly change and occur between now and August of 2013, there is a message in the silence which a parent probably should share with their son in a direct way and manner. This would be especially true if the player is one who has had a significant amount of exposure to DI coaches and isn't getting interest.
"Dreams" get satisfied in baseball after HS in many, many ways. I just checked on FB and found a wonderful post from a terrific player I met several years ago. Coming out of HS, he was a wonderful player but not one who got recruited at the DI level. To me and more than a few, he was a very solid DI talent. He followed the same path, initially, as our son to Trinity(Tx.) When he found out a California surf kid had a hard time riding the waves in the Gulf, he transferred to Chapman. From there he transferred to UCSB, sat out one year, led the team in hitting his senior year, got drafted by his dream team, the Giants, and today was honored with a Rawlings' Gold Glove Award for his work at 2B in AA ball.
I would venture to say far more players chase dreams than probably actually achieve them in baseball beyond HS. No matter how hard they chase, I personally think it is prudent for the parent and player to recognize the messages from words, or silence, to maximize the chances for turning the dreams into reality.
Last edited by infielddad