Skip to main content

Reply to "Need guidance"

quote:
Originally posted by JMoff:
ne14bb:

I've seen a lot of stats, but I don't think I've ever seen that one and would wonder about its relevance.

There is no effect on any offensive statistics based on reaching base by error, which is entirely a function of the defense's inability to make an ordinary effort play.

Correct! It is the defense that has given the offense an opportunity to score they otherwise would not have had.

That you actually believe there is no effect to a ROE in the game is your opinion but it's not like 1 game in history was won because a player ROE. We know it happens throughout MLB so perhaps ROE should not be so easily dismissed.

If ROE is "entirely the function of the defense" then how come HBP which meets same definition-is counted in OBP & consequently OPS & RC etc...?

IMO in a game where scoring more = WINS and you can only score on offense - why would would any statistician h*llbent on creating magical formulas to "effectively demonstrate" how runs are produced; simply disgard ROE as an additional stat in that arsenal to attain the HOLY GRAIL (Runs Created)?

The argument ROE amount to 1 or 2 runs here or there actually solidify my argument that those runs are not only meaningful in regard to countless games won by 1 or 2 runs "here-there-everywhere" in MLB but that those runs can easily be accounted for in stats.

All of which goes back to my OP ... why keep hidden and or remove such an easily accountable stat from MLB and the numerous stat sheets that DON'T provide ROE?

There are a lot more stats on these spread sheets that are far FAR removed from a run being scored than ROE.

I now have the MLB ROE info and will move on from here.