Skip to main content

Reply to "Need guidance"

quote:
Originally posted by Stats4Gnats:
Before I try to answer, I want to be sure you understand that I’m a big believer that ROE is a statistic that should be reported, tracked, and of course analyzed in relation to many other statistics.

OK we agree.

(quote) I’m not sure what your point is. In the end, MLB has determined that a player ROE will be charged with an at bat for computational purposes, but not with a hit. HBPs aren’t chargeable as at bats, and that makes them compute differently. Are you suggesting that an ROE not be counted as an at bat? That seems to be counter-intuitive because an error is a misplay which would have been an out. How would an HBP have been an out? Heck, it might have been an out or a HR for all anyone knows.

You made some valid points. To clarify however, I do not think ROE should be counted as a hit and yes it is an AB.

As to HBP was making the argument in regard to "defense made the error" thus ROE issue as there is no difference what happened in the AB to get batter on 1st base. Where HBP is used in OBP (always means also in OPS) yet ROE is left out of the equation.

As to my point? My only original point per OP was how come I ran into such diffuclty in trying to find ROE stat info when it is obvious numerous stat sheets available to the public are filled with stats yet kept leaving ROE off their charts. Probably should have left it at that.

(QUOTE) Be thee careful about what thee speaks of. The “stat world” and what the rules call for are two entirely different things. This “stat world” you refer to is not controlled by the rules of baseball. In fact, if you look hard enough, my guess is you’ll find several data collecting entities, and the stats they generate often differ because they don’t all generate the same things the same ways.

You more than make my other point. The stat world has gone beyond looking hard at every faction of the game to make them into fractions and formulas so advanced the commoner (me) has neither the intellect or the interest to figure them out.

But this every day fan (obviously not a stat rat) does understand that if the rules and stats are two different things it sure seems like they are both about what makes a team WIN.