Skip to main content

Reply to "New coach needs help!"

CoachG, when you say that you struggle hitting outfield balls, I envision that you are trying to hit monster shots with your fielders standing near the fences. Move the players in and start with a comfortable swing. We actually start around 170 feet. We can control the trajectory while at the same time be able to effectively communicate with the players. Only after we have done breaks on flyballs in, back, left and right all based on "cone positions, do we then have them move back. Perhaps this will help.

For everyone else, we do a drill called "air raid." It is where 2 fungo balls are in the air at all times and our players begged for it. It requires 3 good fungo hitters and a lot of common sense. The "best" fungo hitter should go last.

The following is from a presentations I made on "Practicing fundamentals while having fun." Unfortunatly, I can't copy the diagram with it and so, you will have to use your imagination. I hope someone gets some benefit from this.

Air Raid is a great way to end practice with something that is fun while also challenging and conducive to winning. Naturally, as with any drill, competition makes the drill that much more fun. Each of my assistants as well as myself takes great pride in our abilities to hit “the perfect fungo ball!” We compete with each other during this drill. C1 starts the fun. Then the rotation moves from C1 to C2 and then finally, to C3. A bucket of balls is off to the side and a feeder (Yellow Circle), who is aware at all times that a ball could be hit in their area, keeps all of the coaches supplied with balls. The balls are returned to the other yellow areas, which typically are pitchers or anyone not participating in Air Raid. The Red Areas are the areas of danger. As a coach, you should be very aware when another coach has hit a ball into these areas to ensure that you allow the kids to make a play. So, the drill goes like this, C1 hits a ball to the left field side. While the ball is in the air, C2 hits a ball to the right field side. C3 then assess the situation. C3 can hit a ball to any area where it is safe. If the balls from C1 or C2 are on the infield, C3 can hit a popup to the catcher or a foul ball to 1st or 3rd. If C1 or C2 has hit an outfield ball, then C3 can hit to whichever infield side didn’t get a popup or hit a popup to the catcher. C3 is the pivotal Coach. He has to be able to keep it going but keep it safe. Should C3 hit a ball to shortstop, then, C1 now hits the balls to the right field side and C2 now hits to the left field side until you switch again due to a ball hit by C3. This is really confusing isn’t it? We want 2 balls in the air at all times! You should be able to do this. Please keep in mind. You want good fungo hitters doing this. If you have a kid hitting these fungos, they will top the ball and hit a line drive right between some kids eyes. Air Raid can also be done with 2 coaches. You simply alternate making sure that you keep the catchers supplied with some fungos. This will keep it safe.
Last edited by CoachB25