Skip to main content

Reply to "New Coach Seeking Advice"

cabbagedad posted:

Well, we can't really get started without knowing more about why each wasn't there and a bit more about the culture as it relates specifically to the no-show issue.   I've seen and heard about a lot of different struggles with program culture but no-showing for game day without a sudden emergency issue is really unusual.  I'll withhold further comment until you fill us in.

One of the 5 had a valid excuse (in my opinion), his grandmother had passed away and he was headed to North Carolina for the funeral. 

One had a school field trip and forgot his uniform.
One had to help his grandfather move on Saturday so could not be there Friday?
Last two were going out of town. 

The commitment part, again my opinion, is also in regards to the parents.

I understand that part of our issue is we are an economically challenged county and some of these issues stem from that culture...it's just frustrating.  Since I am a dad coaching a varsity HS team, I am fortunate enough to be able to adjust my schedule with work so I have been going in at 6am to be able to leave by 2pm to get to practice and games.  Friday I got to work at 5:30am, left at 1pm for the game, got back from the game at 8pm.  Took a player home and went to get my side by side to roll the field, was on the field until 12:30am, home and in bed at 1:30am after finally getting some "dinner."  I get that not many students show the same commitment and hard work the coaching staff puts in and many of them don't have a clue how many hours we spend preparing for practices and games as well as extra hours running down equipment, fund raising or working on the facilities...it's just disheartening to see them let their peers down after they have all worked so hard. 

Just hoping to avoid this as the season starts.  We've all worked so hard just to have a few not take their commitment serious.