Skip to main content

Reply to "New Coach Seeking Advice"

There is definitely something to be said for what TXCatch is saying although I also understand that your starting point of reference is likely far different than most.  Still, participation requirements must be clearly communicated by you along with the corresponding consequences.  Communication, communication, communication.  Then, expect the same back from your players.  Even most kids I know who are economically challenged still have cell phones.  For our group, if they don't, they are required to find other ways to communicate in a timely manner.  As Tx said, once those rules are established, you can't make exceptions for those who make you competitive.  In fact, it is all the more important that you are consistent with those players as to send the clear message.  Continue to preach the importance of the commitment as it relates to their teammates.  

It sounds like you are a long way from having things in place where you want them to be.  It also sounds like you are willing and able to put the effort into making that happen, to which I loudly applaud.  But, you will have to set some clear parameters and make some tough decisions along the way.

I know this is far from where you are now and your set of realities will be different from others but something to shoot for...

If I have a player who is out of school sick for the day (I, too, am an off-campus coach), I get a text from him early a.m. so I can adjust my practice plan if necessary.  They are expected to be committed to baseball first during baseball season including over Easter break when we play a tourney and over long weekends where their families and/or friends may be planning getaways.  They are expected to stay in front of studies and/or schedule tutor help around practice time.  Etc., etc.  When we first took the program, this was definitely not the thought process.  Some of this was put in place immediately.  Some was groomed over time.  There are still case by case allowances but the foundation of expectations and communication must be put in place.  Eventually, as the team becomes a bit more competitive, players will not want to miss games.  And in order to not miss games, they will not be able to miss practices without a very good proven reason.  My guys know that when they start saying "Hey coach, I am going to have to leave practice a bit early/be a bit late, it needs to be in advance and followed with a valid and verifiable reason.  Our culture wasn't great for the opposite reason as compared to yours... overly pampered.  So, undoubtedly, ours was easier than yours to set demands and hold them to it.  But I have seen the same done in scenarios like yours.

Keep at it !!!  Those kids will benefit in more ways than you can imagine.