Skip to main content

Reply to "NLI offer different than the verbal offer"

tao posted:

OK, son called the coach and this is how it works. For example:

1st year: 50%

2nd year: 25%

3rd year: 25%

4th year: 25%

The 1st year son will get the full 50% as originally committed. The 2nd year, say if the coach runs out of money and wants to offer some new recruit, coach might take 10% scholarship from my son and other players to make room for the new recruit. So the 2nd year, son will get 50-10=40%. The 3rd year, coach will return previous year 10% PLUS 5%(like interest?) back to son, so the 3rd year he will get 50+15=65%. 

So overall, it's still 50%. So we are good, and smart move for the coaches to have flexibility for recruiting. I know it's all based on the words, but we got to trust the coaches!

Thanks all for the good comments and PM, the explanation sounds reasonable to me.  Hopefully the HC can still keep the job until son graduates HC got 10-year contract, he is now in his 3rd year.

Hopefully he is being honest.  Just know that what you sign is the only obligation, and if next year he says "Johnny hasn't really developed like we projected" and he only gives the 25%, that it isn't considered a reduction of scholarship for performance reasons because he's honoring the scholarship.  If he does only give the 25% for any of the following years, he's not obligated in any way to "make it up" in future years and you have absolutely no protection.  Make sure that you financially are good with covering the additional 25% for years 2-4 before your son signs his NLI and is on the hook with NCAA transfer sit out rules.

Last edited by Nuke83