Skip to main content

Reply to "NLI offer different than the verbal offer"

Chicago643 posted:

Am I the only one here who thinks 100% aid, based on need, is not really a scholarship per se? Yes, the kid is not counting against athletic aid, but the only thing they have done to “earn” the scholarship is to have financial need. To me, that is not scholarship, it’s grant aid, and by definition a walk on.

Correct.....a kid getting 100 percent in need money is a walk on....and nothing more with regard to the team.  However, if a coach was recruiting the kid...he could very well have planned on giving him scholarship money, in any amount over 25 percent.  Once they found out he was getting 100 percent need based, the coach can guarantee him a roster spot, though it's not a formal agreement....and give him no baseball money....but again, the kid is a walk on.  Unless the kid is a stud pitcher throwing 94-95 he probably sounds pretty silly going around telling people he is on a 100 percent scholly....because 1) it has nothing to do with baseball...and 2) most people will just assume he's not being truthful because 100 percent athletic schollys are so infrequent.  A lot of this comes from the fact that a lot of people just don't understand scholly's.  I've had people talk to me about my son and think he has a full ride for baseball....because they hear athletic scholarship and just assume they are all full rides

Last edited by Buckeye 2015