Skip to main content

Reply to "NLI offer different than the verbal offer"

Chicago643 posted:
Picked Off posted:

If I'm his parent, I'll take the 100% academic/need scholarship all day long. Who cares if he is a walk on or if he got athletic money. They do have to meet certain factors before it doesn't count against the 11.7. Coaches generally play their best player, regardless of scholarship amount. 

My experience over the years is that most families that brag about scholarships are usually not truthful. It's nobody's business and should be kept to themselves. Coaches hate it. I remember when our financial was agreement was presented and the coach made it known he did not like it shared. I've seen parents on this site blab the school and the amount and haven't even stepped foot on campus. Only bad things can come from this.

In the end, scholarship players get cut and walkon's get drafted. Signing the NLI & Financial agreement is only the beginning.

Our family has been blessed with both academic and athletic money for all 5 years(RS Senior). He will graduate with his MBA and zero debut. That should be the goal!

Agree the idea is to get through the college experience without debt, but grant aid is not a scholarship. It’s need based, not merit based and certainly not athletic aid. They would receive it if they were a non-athlete.

There are all type of grants and all type of scholarships. One is need based and one is merit based.  Both,  are considered student financial aid that (usually) doesnt have to be paid back. 

The questions on the application help the coach to determine how he will spend his money.  I know of quite a few situations where the athlete received 100% needs based aid (walk ons) and played every game in baseball as well as other sports. That allows the coach to use his money for athletic scholarships which are technically called grants as well. 

I concur with picked off, who cares really who gets what and what its called, the whole idea is to walk away with little or no debt. This will especially become important down the road due to tax reform.

Personally, if someone offered 25% to my player and nothing else to subsidize costs he would be looking elsewhere than a D1 opportunity. 

JMO