Skip to main content

Reply to "NLI offer different than the verbal offer"

Chicago643 posted:

I guess that is why we all have opinions, then. As someone who has already “run the race” you can say you would walk away from a 25% D1 offer, but I am sure there are many parents with players who would gladly accept that to realize their dream. 

People do care what it is called so they can say “my kid got a baseball scholarship.”

25% at a DI is great and nothing to walk away from if there are no better offers on the the table. Academic money is a bonus and the player should grab as much as they can. If kids focucused on academics as much as they do athletics, they would be much better off. I don't know that much about grants or need base money. We live in CA where most consider us wealthy, but in reality we are just getting by after the state & Feds get done digging into our pockets. Another story for a different day!

Our son was not one of those full rides that we hear about all the time. He had a nice mix of academic & athletic his first two years(DI) and athletic money at his current(DII). Luckily we started a college fund many years ago that has helped along the way but we still pay out of our monthly budget. We are looking forward to the extra money we will have when this is all done. Maybe we will follow in the footsteps of "justbaseball" and leave the Republic of California to greener pastures.