Skip to main content

Reply to "Notre Dame Prospects Camp"

Not glamorous by any stretch but I nominate Swamp's post as a golden.  This is a very clear and accurate depiction of what college camps are and how coaches view them and should be another piece of required reading for those entering the recruiting process.

2019 posed a good question earlier in the thread that deserves more attention (and probably it's own topic).  Some folks here have stated that they go to these camps for the instruction.  How much can you get from a one or two day camp with a large group format that typically stretches across ages and ability levels?  Well, I think it is typical to pick up one or two tips that can be gems but I think it is safe to say that one would get far more bang for the buck by putting that money toward private or small group focused instruction.  

I think these camps can be good for younger players (roughly pre-15) for the excitement factor - experiencing the school facilities, getting a bit of instruction from the college players and taking in those few gems but once a player has reached the point where it's time for a recruiting plan, look elsewhere.  The exception would be if there is active recruiting discussion with a school and they want to use the camp as an opportunity for another look.  

BTW, in making this statement, I am now advocating taking money directly out of my son's pockets.  Oops, sorry son.  

Last edited by cabbagedad