Skip to main content

Reply to "Offer Announcements"

Buckeye 2015 posted:

I would have never considered allowing my son to announce an offer.  He announced his commitment 20 seconds after he hung up the phone with the coach, which I'm fine with.  I just don't see the need to announce every single offer.  To me, the offer is between the player and the coach that offered.  If a kid wants to tell the coaches who has offered, that's fine...it's his business, but announcing it to the world seems kind of flaky to me.  Maybe baseball players are just too classy to do that kind of stuff

+1.  Agree Buckeye 2015.

Some people like to tell everyone that will listen, and others play it very closely to the vest for their own reasons.  I truly believe this whole "announcing thing" is a result of the peer pressure these kids are under.   I saw it with my sons travel team years ago.   Every kid went to a D1 program.   In a lot of cases, I saw kids committing just for the sake of committing because others on the team were committing....peer pressure.  It is like a feeding frenzy, and this is where opportunities can be lost in the rush to commit.   There is no question, the recruiting coaches take advantage of this situation.  

In our case, my son was very hesitant about announcing his commitment until he got an official admissions letter.  He did not share offer information with anyone except his travel coach, family and people he trusted.  If a coach asked about his offers or interests,  sometimes he would share the name of the school but mostly he referred to the athletic conference that the school is in.   It depended on the situation, and if he liked/trusted the coach.  When he did commit, I had to force his hand a little to inform other offering college coaches that he had verbally committed to another school.  

As always, JMO.