Skip to main content

Reply to "Offers Contingent on Better SAT/ACT Score?"

IEBSBL posted:
WestCoastPapa posted:

Does anyone have experience/knowledge regarding D-1 academic schools making offers contingent on SAT/ACT scores?

Example: A 2019 prospect has a 4.0 GPA but has not yet taken SAT/ACT or the first test he took did not result in a a very high score. Aside form Ivy League, will some academic schools offer contingent on those scores going up?

I would think it's tricky for the academic school coaches as a prospect may have a couple of options at solid schools that do not require an SAT/ACT score that "University of Academic" requires. 

Appreciate the help.

WCP

Offers not necessarily but the amount of offer, absolutely.   I was informed about 4 years ago from multiple colleges that a lot of schools are making offers based off of it because it is a score that is understandable.  What I mean by that is the coaches know what they are getting.  When they see transcripts that say 4.3 with 4 AP classes and low SAT scores they have been burned to many times with those kids.  A lot of colleges privately ignore the extra point for AP and just focus on the actual GPA when they make decisions.  Other people might have different stories.  I am stating this from the stand point of a HS Coach being told this by multiple coaches and multiple levels.

I can confirm that the Ivys care about the unweighted GPA, not the weighted GPA.  My son has been talking to several Ivys and without exception when he responded with his weighted GPA, they asked for the unweighted GPA. They seem to be looking for 3.7 or above, by the way.  They also consistently say 6-8 AP classes through senior year.  Agree with above comments on ACT/SAT scores and AI.