Skip to main content

Reply to "Offers Contingent on Better SAT/ACT Score?"

edcoach posted:

what ACT score is needed for an IVY? what about Stanford?  How close is a 28?  Im assuming ivy's and stanford want a 30 minimum?

Speaking from knowledge based on a buddy whose son just committed to Stanford as a sophomore (2020), it is contingent on several factors. The son already has a 4.0 GPA but Stanford does work with his counselor on his curriculum for the next two years to ensure that he is taking courses that will prepare him for Stanford academia. He also has to achieve a minimum on either standardized test he takes (I did not ask the scores).

My son has not taken the SATs as a junior (he is taking them in March) and his offers are all considered "soft" at the academic schools that he has been in contact with. They have asked for a 1250 on the SATs or a 26/27 on ACTs based on his GPA of 3.6. Many of these schools only have 5 or 6 scholarships to spread around so they ask the boys for these scores knowing that there is other academic money they are pair with a partial (25% min) that gives them a better chance to securing the player.

I really have to give it to these coaches. They have to carry a calculator in their pocket at all times. We had to fill out multiple financial aid forms prior to our visits.