Skip to main content

Reply to "Offers Contingent on Better SAT/ACT Score?"

Twoboys posted:

So don't think that somehow HPY have a higher floor.  I think it was Yale who had a 27 or 28 recruit last year.  We have seen 26s at Ivies.  Yes more likely to see higher scores, but there are outliers.  The lower scores just mean a lower Academic Index which means the coach has to get someone higher to help balance it out.  There is a team index that fits into the overall college index.  Teams like football and hockey have a lower index than say crew or tennis.   Tucker Frawley the Yale RC says very publicly that Yale baseball has a 31 average.  That means one kid could have a 35 and another a 27.  

HYP do, in fact, have higher floors.  If you think otherwise, you are simply misinformed.  AI formula (which by the way is no secret, one can Google search for it and find an actual spreadsheet that caclulates is as well as articles that lay out the formula) is the same for all, but the band or mid-point of the acceptable AI (the “average of the portfolio”, if you will) is higher for HYP.  There are articles that have been available online for years that speak to this as well.  I also know this from first hand, black and white experience.  PM me if you want more on this.  Each class, for each sport, is a “portfolio” and yes, if a player is well above the targeted average, then that provides “AI budget” (a term that is actually used) to allocate to another player (let’s say some stud LHP who throws 90 but has a lower set of academic measurables - SAT, GPA, etc.).  But, the targeted average AI is certainly not the same school by school. 

Last edited by BucsFan