Skip to main content

Reply to "Ohio Wesleyan"

I have talked to the OP over PM.

My son graduated two years ago, but the staff is about the same. Mott is still the Head coach. I liked him and what he does with the program. Coach Frentsos, you could not meet a nicer guy. All the players love him. Having coach Koblentz, leave was tough. He is a real baseball guy. He has a long history of baseball in this area and in the US. 

Mott is well connected in the summer circuit. There are OWU players in the Great Lakes and Prospect league. My son played in the Valley league as well. They tried very hard to get him in the Coastal Plains league, but it never worked out. 

If you are a hard worker and have talent, The staff will work very hard for you. 

I shared this many times on this board before, but for the newbies I will share again.

One of the last recruiting discussion Coach Mott had with my son, I heard while I was packing up the car after visiting one of there fall games and banquets. 

He pulled my son aside, and had this to say:

"You have to understand, I think you are a very good ball player, And it is my job to get you to like my team and get you to come to this college. And part of doing that is to be a nice guy, and be a buddy. However, if you come hear understand, I have to win games and I will be hard on you. It will be tough. But once you get here it is my job to make sure yo are the best you can be, on the field and off. There is a lot of work being a student athlete at OWU and any other college. Be prepared, I will may not be the same guy who is recruiting you. " (this is the gist of the conversation, I am getting old and do not remember it verbatim.)

All through my sons recruiting journey, once it was clear he would not end up at a D1, we thought he would end up at Wabash. He ended up choosing OWU at the end of May his senior year. We have talked about it many times over the year, And he has never regretted his choice. 

If he had to do it over, he would still choose OWU. I think there would only be one school that would make him change his mind. 

I hope this helps.