Skip to main content

Reply to "Ohio Wesleyan"

gratefuldad posted:

My son graduated from OWU in 2016 & was a 4yr starter on the baseball team. He was fortunate to play 3 years with BLD's son. I have to agree with BLD about Coach Mott & the rest of the OWU staff, if you are willing to WORK HARD they will do all they can to make you a better person as well as a better player. That being said my son's experience was not a smooth one. His freshman year was almost his last at OWU. He had a hard time understanding why Coach Mott would chew him out over little mistakes but would let other players slide for more serious miscues. At the time he didn't realize that Coach saw that my son could be a very good player & was trying to push him to be his best. At the end of that first year my son said he was not going back to OWU & was willing to go elsewhere even if it meant not playing baseball. He had been accepted at a D1 school & was going to try to walk -on the baseball team. Fortunately he changed his mind at the very last minute & returned to OWU. I relay the above to point out that college can be a roller coaster for both you & your son. My son went on to a much better understanding of Coach Mott & they developed a good relationship the rest of his career. Coach even ask son to come back as an unpaid asst. To sum up OWU will provide a very good education for your son as well as a very good baseball experience.

I am very happy he came back. As a parent I really enjoyed my son's time at OWU. 

Freshman get a real opportunity there. Like GratefulDad, my son was a four year starter. Some of that was luck, some of it was skill, and an awful lot of it was hard work. 

I can point out several other examples, as well. There are also players who have to wait there turn and do not play a lot, until sophomore or junior year. But I believe all have an opportunity, once they step on campus.