Skip to main content

Reply to "Participation Trophies"

I don't know the answer to the basic question you ask, but I remember 60 Minutes doing a segment on "Echo Boomers" about 3-4 years ago.

From what I remember of the story, lots of sociologists are studying this younger group because they are behaving differently in the workplace. Things like 'great team players' were positives. Others like 'not a lot of natural leaders' were the not-so-positive. The sociologists pointed out, as an example, that as they are entering the workplace they tend to get confused when one gets a bonus, but not all. We have seen a certain amount of that in our own workplace with our younger folks. They share ALL of that type of information with each other (as in social media) and a subset gets confused at times when they aren't all treated exactly the same.

There was also a collaborative (younger folks and older folks together) engineering conference dedicated to better workplace practices for all here a few weeks ago. The point is, someone thinks there are some bridges to cross here!

Going off memory, but I believe I remember in the 60 Minutes segment that the sociologists specifically pointed to the 'everybody gets a trophy' practice in youth sports as affecting both the positive and the not-so-positive things mentioned.

I never took the time to read any more about this. Maybe others did?
Last edited by justbaseball