Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitch Counts for 8th Graders? And playing a position after pitching"

Well you could go with Pitch Smart Pitching rules:

http://m.mlb.com/pitchsmart/pi...elines-ages-13-to-14

My son is 14 and on the HS JV team so you could go by your state JV pitching rules, here are GA's:

Pitching restrictions:
(a) Maximum Pitches in One Game:  sub-varsity 90.
(b) Required Rest Periods:
Sub-Varsity
 1-24 Pitches 0 Days,  25-44 Pitches 1 Day, 45-64 Pitches 2 Days, 65-90 Pitches 3 Days

Note: A pitcher shall not throw more than 900 pitches in a single game or cumulative over a two-day period. A pitcher shall not pitch more than two consecutive days regardless of the pitch count, at which time a minimum 1-day rest period is required. Doubleheaders are considered two separate games and single-game pitch count limitations are in effect. All other rest periods are based on the total pitches thrown.

My OPINION on the subject is that the SS shouldn't pitch, the throwing motion is just too different.  People tend to call out catching and pitching, but in my observations SS and pitching are more harmful to a young arm. Not that I'm condoning the catcher taking off his gear to take the mound, I actually really dislike that, but I think SS is worse.

I have no issue with a pitcher also being a 3B, 1B, 2B, OF player as long as they were properly allowed to warm up prior to pitching.  Truly dislike it when the coach approaches the mound and crooks his finger and the  kid currently playing RF comes in to take the mound.