Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitch Counts for 8th Graders? And playing a position after pitching"

New state pitch count restrictions are easily supported with rosters of 15 kids.  Your reduced pitch count is realistic.  From experience I'd keep your core position players on the field and only use them as a possible closer and keeping it to 30 pitches; don't use a primary defensive player to be a SP or early in a tournament.  Develop your other players to pitch.  Perhaps a bit too idealistic at 14 and with a roster of 12... But you'll need an arm that can give you 30 pitches when you get deeper in the tournament, save the top defensive players for that time.   Been there....

If a kids pitching motion is drastically different than how he throws in the field, he needs to work on his throwing motion, they should be athletically similar.   A SS will normally have a 3/4 slot allowing him to be variable (multi- slot) with how he throws the ball because of the different angles his body is in when he fields the ball, and then throws the ball to make the play.    14 year old SS's will have a tendency to lengthen their arm strokes on the mound, they need to continue working on proper throwing motions on flat ground that's portable to their position and so they can assist on the mound.  You want a consistent arm path, keeping the arm "connected" for arm health reasons.

This connection ball was a useful tool used by my sons throwing motion guy: https://www.oatesspecialties.c...ess/connection-ball/

Kind of rambling here, I remember these days and the pitching frustration while trying to keep the kids healthy, it takes work.  Good luck.

(Edited grammar)

Last edited by Gov