Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitch Counts for 8th Graders? And playing a position after pitching"

cabbagedad posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:
cabbagedad posted:
CaCO3Girl posted:

My OPINION on the subject is that the SS shouldn't pitch, the throwing motion is just too different.  ...

Caco, I'm curious... can you expand on that thought?

Sure.  You have a great pitcher, you don't over use him, you keep his pitch counts low and then you what, put him at SS?  SS the land of wonky moves where you rarely have your feet firmly planted when you have to make a throw?  Sometimes you have to throw in weird ways, and always in HARD ways to get the ball over to 1B?   It's a lot of stress on an arm to be a SS and to be a SS with OPEN growth plates (11u-15u) that also pitches...in my opinion you are just asking for disaster.

No question the majority agree with the overuse connection.  It was the throwing motion being "too different" that was my specific question.   

Yes, a SS finds himself throwing "in weird ways" but the throwing fundamentals are the same.  Ideally, SS utliizes proper throwing mechanics and his natural arm slot.  At times, SS has to throw from down low, but preferably, that is body tilt with same general mechanics.  Yes, sometimes he needs to go down lower.  But, to make the throws from the hole and the routine plays, the standard mechanic is best...  the same mechanic you want most P's to use.    Yes, at times, the circle is smaller, but still... not a concern of being too different, IMO.  

Now catching is quite different.  You consistently want a shorter, quicker more direct take-back and you want the ball to go as straight as possible.  Those can be very different mechanically in some aspects.  Just my opinion as well.  Always fun to discuss.

Yes, always fun to discuss.  I've seen it all ways the catcher/pitcher, catcher/SS, ss/pitcher.  Three times now (11u and 12u) I have seen the SS/pitcher needing "required rest due to growth plate issues".  Haven't seen a medical problem with the other variations, but I will admit my pool was small.