Skip to main content

Reply to "Pitching Inside"

A few years ago there was a very good Hitter at a D3 school called Wabash. His name was John Holm. My son was starting, in his first conference game, of his Freshman year. He kept them in control pretty well. Some of that was from pitching inside. In the 6th inning and the score was 0-0. He had two on base.I forget the count. Holm came up to the plate and my son shook off the pitch. Coach comes out and talks to him and I could tel the coach was not happy. Son, through the pitch called and Holm sent a monster over right field fence. It was probably the second longest HR in Wabash history. 

I talked to my son later. He said he wanted to go low and away. Coach wanted him to go inside. I asked him why he wanted to go away. He said that Holm had changed where he stood in the batter box. Instead of being on top of the plate he was as far away from the plate as he could be. If he threw inside he would be in his wheel house. 

My son also watches where the ump sets up. Depending on how low they get and how close they are to the catchers shoulder, helps him determine if he will get the inside pitch called. Sometimes he will get it at the beginning of the game, but not as the game goes along. Usually he says the ump is no longer getting as low and as close to the catcher. So sometimes he pitches inside early but has to adapt as the game goes on.