Skip to main content

Reply to "Play hard. Have fun. I love you."

My son was hurting Saturday. They made a great run in the conference tourney. They knocked out the #1 and #2 seeds after dropping their first game after leading 5-0. They ended up losing that game 7-6. Then with a chance to play for the championship they lost a heart breaker 5-4. He was hurting for his guys. I have never in all the years he played ever seen him so down. I think he just felt for the first time what a coach feels when you look in the eyes of your Seniors and know they have played their last game. I hurt for him.

On the drive home my wife got a text from a good friend of ours. She is the sister of one of my former players. Her 19 year old brother the brother of my former player has cancer. He also has spots of cancer on his lungs. My wife works at Duke Medical Center and treats cancer patients and she wanted some advice on who to make sure they saw. As soon as she told me I thought of d8.

Later that night I texted my son and told him about the young man. He was silent on the phone. He is very close with the young man. I didn't have to say a word. He finally said "I guess this puts things into perspective don't it Dad?" All I could say was "Yes it does son. I love you."

Baseball is not life. It's a game. Its a way to learn life lesson's. Life is precious. We all need a little perspective now and then. Coach brought that to us. I need that lesson from time to time. We all do.