Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing young guys"

2019Dad posted:

Last spring the baseball teams of the Trinity League in Orange County CA -- not my son's league, so I have no horse in this race -- had 50 D1 commits (not all seniors, that was across all four years) amongst the 6 teams in the league. 50!!! 

As far as football goes, it's even crazier. Maxpreps has the six Trinity League teams currently ranked nationally at #1, #3, #47, #85, #95, and #128. USA Today has the six teams currently ranked nationally at #1, #4, #67, #92, #155, and #162. 

Did I mention that recruiting is against CIF rules?  

We are the only team in the Mission League that does not allow "undue influence" in their program (the term "recruiting" is nowhere found in CIF by laws). Our football program which was dominant in the 70's and 80's is just average now as is basketball. 50% of our students are "legacy" (have a parent or relative who attended the school). However, both sports are still treated as if they are "special". For instance, at our school, baseball has not had new uniforms in five years. JV is wheres uniforms from the early 2000's and I can only guess what frosh wear. (parents have said the uni's stand up on their own). Whereas football and basketball have been featured as Nike "Jumpman", a.k.a. Jordan, uniform schools in Sports Illustrated and ESPN. Go figure.

Baseball is now the most undue influenced sport in the Mission League because it is so under the radar. I won't go any further with how this forbidden process works (just look at the schools with the most power 5's in our league and you will understand who the culprits are) but it does occur. The funny thing is watching the coaches for these two schools whine/complain/ bitch somethings as trivial as a random leaf lying upside down on a playing surface. Happy to say the young men do represent those schools well though!