Skip to main content

Reply to "Playing young guys"

Chicago643 posted:
2019Dad posted:

Chicago, chill out. Here's what happened. Go44 posted a link to the 20 biggest high schools in the state of Texas. I looked at his link. 3 of the 4 biggest were in the same city! Wow! Given that it's Texas, they are probably 3 of the 10 biggest in the country (no, there aren't hundreds of high schools of that size). I thought to myself, wow, I bet they are absolutely dominant, given the numbers. I looked them up and they had losing records. I posted that it was really surprising. Lesson learned, you never know who is on here (or anywhere) and it turned out that another poster has a kid on one of the teams. Then I unwisely had a back and forth with Adbono, some of which was just in fun (on my side at least), but still probably should have been avoided.

I learned awhile ago that the golden rule only works perfectly if the two people have the same sensitivities. If my son's team (or my alma mater for that matter) had a losing record, it wouldn't bother me if someone said they weren't very good -- heck, I would probably say it -- but just because it wouldn't bother me, that doesn't mean it won't bother someone else. So I deleted the post.

One thing I didn't do is call Adbono (or anyone else) any names. But if it makes you feel better, go for it. 

I called you that name because you came off like that. Your logic is flawed and apparently you think because you play in a league with a couple of teams whose players are committed to D1 schools you have this incredible pulpit to say who is competitive and who isn’t. I can tell you this, only one of those teams are going to win their league, the rest will probably be viewed as non-competitive. What bothers me the most about your post is your entitled view of what competitive baseball means. You can have a league in which none of the players are college bound be competitive. If a team is in every game but lose them all by 1-run, are they not competitive? If they are a public school, your view seems to be yes. What school does your kid play for, I have friends in LA are MLB scouts, I will have them come by and let me know how competitive they are.

Well, Chicago, so far I have seen you attack Fenway ("didn't you say one of your sons was only a bullpen catcher?") and then not even say "my bad" or apologize in any way (at least publicly) when you were corrected, and then go completely off the rails here. So I will refrain from engaging with you.