Skip to main content

Reply to "In Memory of Fungo (Luke Bell)"

One of my very favorite memories of Fungo was so many years ago in a Sunday night chat room.  I was talking with someone named "Staggerlee".  At some point, I realized that Staggerlee had another name, one that I knew so much better---Fungo.  He told me that he wanted to be just a guy---not Fungo.  But he wasn’t  ”just a guy".  He was "quite a guy". 

I had the wonderful privilege of meeting him.  One of my sons was going to college very near where he lived, and when I let Fungo know that I was driving down from Chicago to visit my son, he insisted that my daughter and I stay with him and his lovely wife.  It was a bonus, because there was a snowstorm and we were snowed in!  He also insisted that we stay with them when we traveled back down the following weekend when the games were rescheduled---this time, my husband came with us.  What a treat.  What a warm, generous, hospitable,  and fun guy.  He showed how caring he was when my son tore his ACL.  I will never forget his kindness and all that he did for Nick.

If anyone ever questioned if one person can make a difference in the world, the answer is yes.  Fungo touched the lives of everyone he met----either in person, or on the hsbaseballweb and facebook.   I joined facebook just so I could see his magnificent nature pictures! 

For some reason, Mother Theresa’s very famous quote is running though my mind…..”Not all of us can do great things.  But we can do small things with great love”.  Fungo did everything, great and small, with great love.  I hope he knew just how loved he was in return.

Godspeed, Fungo.  And thank you.  For everything.