Skip to main content

Reply to ""Potential" D1 prospect. When is right time to transition focus to D2, D3, NAIA?"

I agree that a large majority of D2 schools don't have the academic reputation that D3 or high level D1 schools have, but don't rule them all out.  UC San Diego is one of the top 10 research universities in the country and as you know, a D2 school that just played for a national Championship.  Nova Southeastern in Florida won the D2 national championship last year and is highly ranked university.  There are many great academic and baseball programs in the D2 ranks.   D2 schools for a large number of reasons don't have funding or student populations to support D1 athletics, but never the less are often very good academic institutions, perhaps more on a regional level.  You just have to dig a little deeper to vet those schools out.  I totally agree with casting a very large net to many schools in all regions of the country and as you said, getting the first offer is key.  My advice is to keep an open mind, research the various schools and look at all options.