Skip to main content

Reply to ""Potential" D1 prospect. When is right time to transition focus to D2, D3, NAIA?"

cabbagedad posted:
WestCoastPapa posted:
cabbagedad posted:

Wow, great informative post from Strained... one of my son's schools was a D2 and I only wish I could argue his point.  That said, as Friarfred pointed out, there are exceptions.  Research.  We were surprised that some of the Caif. D2's put so little $$ into the baseball programs (in many aspects) as compared to many much smaller private D3's and even NAIA's elsewhere.  These things can be pretty easy to identify if you know what to look for and what to ask.

WCPapa, those are good numbers.  Aside from the PG events, is he playing with a good travel org this summer?  Going to the right events?  What would you say are the main reasons he is not getting more attention yet?

All the comments about JC's are true as well although I suspect may not be a fit based on his academics.  Still could be, depends on his career direction, budget, etc., etc.

He is on a well known travel team. He has attended some big events (that's where a D1 saw him and his been talking to him ever since, but it hasn't gotten more serious). Not sure what the reasons are but trying to get into stronger tournaments and trying out for fall scout teams are priority right now. His travel coaches have not been much help at all from a recruiting standpoint however son knows that it is up to him (with my help) to reach out to college coaches and try to garner attention.

Sounds like you guys are on the right track!  You've already learned another tough lesson that can be surprising... many decent travel organizations can get you to the right events but even with all the questionnaires and some dialog, they are just a tool for you to utilize - quite often less helpful than players anticipate in the actual recruiting work, not an entity that will take over the process for you.  Player (and parents) must drive the process. 

He should (if he hasn't already) choose two or three of his biggest advocates who are qualified (travel coaches, established HS coaches, reputable instructors, local scouts who know him, etc.)  He should keep open dialog with these people and ask if he can use them as reference.  If they are kept aware of his ongoing status, they will be more likely to think of him when they hear about a school with a need or more likely to mention him in discussions with schools.  But more importantly, they can add credibility and provide reference for when the player steers an RC or HC to them during recruiting dialog.

Exciting time!  I suspect good things are in his near future.

Quoting from above....This is very true and something all parents with aspiring baseball players should know.

"You've already learned another tough lesson that can be surprising... many decent travel organizations can get you to the right events but even with all the questionnaires and some dialog, they are just a tool for you to utilize - quite often less helpful than players anticipate in the actual recruiting work, not an entity that will take over the process for you.  Player (and parents) must drive the process."