Skip to main content

Reply to ""Potential" D1 prospect. When is right time to transition focus to D2, D3, NAIA?"

I think much is made of the whole “reaching out” idea but it isn’t that simple. Some kids simply don’t want to reach out, some are introverts, some have smaller comfort zone with unknowns…some kids will be salesmen others will be financial or back office…different personalities approach the same process differently.  If you are in your comfort zone selling yourself go do it, if you are interested in travelling to a faraway college wonderful but that doesn’t mean it is best way for everyone.

There most likely will be plenty of good options close by if you look, it takes some research and effort, I would guess that if your boy is generating the partial interest from D1’s right now he will have D2 and 3 schools after him hard over the next 12 or 15 months…

My advice would be to work hard, keep ears and eyes open, have some honest conversations about he wants from college and let it unfold. If you read the stories on commitment time lines you might think you are late for a 2019 but you aren’t. He can hardly drive, he hasn’t started his JR year, if he didn’t play baseball nobody would expect him to have clue what he is looking for in a college.

Don’t let the rat race that is high level D1 affect him, it is highly doubtful he is that type of player anyway or you would already know it.