Skip to main content

Reply to "Power 5 schools and recruiting"

Your itinerary is very similar to one of sons' visit to a Big 10. Only son was able to attend Engineering classes on Friday with a current player & eat lunch in dining hall with more players & assistant coaches. This is where you catch the real campus vibe. First red flag, when they just pointed to the freshman dorm where players live & did not walk us thru. (Looked like a 1970's elementary school from the outside, may have changed now, our visit fall of 2013) Met with Head coach on Fri. afternoon. Sat am observed practice in the bubble with 3-4 other recruits & parents.  (Be cautious with talk around these parents~ we had one that kept hounding us & asking way too many questions of us, as if he saw us as competition). The basketball game was lots of fun. You sit in the recruit section & all the season ticket holders around you strike up conversation. Another opportunity to ask questions & get a feel for vibe of campus & community.  We were pulled from the game to have a 2 hour conversation with Head Coach. (I always pulled my chair back about 4-5" in the coaches office with these type of meetings, to keep focus on son & remind me to stay in the background!) Son did receive an offer @ end of meeting:  a preffered walk-on.  Son had researched the roster prior to the visit.  Son asked coach, "You have 7 guys just like me,  (RHP, >6'4" ) why do you want me?  Coach did not have a good answer. Sons' only communication had been with Pitching coach up to this point.  Remember PC is not the ultimate decision maker.  Son passed on this school, read between the lines.  Enjoy your visit, i would say dress in Khaki's & a collared polo & leave the baseball hat at home.  

Edited to add; Some may have different opinions on this; I asked the PC when he first picked us up & was driving to our appointment~ "So how many legacy kids does the team carry?"  PC choked on the coffee he was drinking & answered, 2-3!

Last edited by Journey On