Skip to main content

Reply to "Preferred Walk-on / Admissions"

Trust In Him posted:
baseballmom posted:

Priorities...Is your priority getting him into the specific school you referred to?...or using baseball to help pay for his education? (which is what hsbbweb IS mostly about)...or using a chance at walk on status to gain admission to the school? 

If he is academically qualified for this school, ya'll ought to look more to academic $$'s...But don't go into a situation hoping for walk-on to gain admission. That's "betting on the come"...

Do some more homework to get a clear picture of your sons' ability & where those abilities "fit" into a college program...

Correct me if I am wrong, but to be a "walk-on" doesn't the person FIRST have to be a student at the school, such as already been accepted based on merit and financials?  Or is it time for me to wake up and smell the coffee that "special" walk-on's get academic scholarships and acceptance into the school thanks to Coach XYZ?  D3 is a different story.

Depends. As has already been mentioned...depending on the program and HC...walk-on can mean different things. Some players may not receive an athletic scholarship but still be offered a roster spot so they are labeled by the program as a commit and included in opening fall roster.  Others may be told to attend walk-on tryout and not considered a commit or listed on fall roster and therefore must be accepted and attending the school. Based on all the feedback on these forums, the latter situation is not a good way to try and make the team. I am sure there are other ways that programs classify their walk-on players but those are the two most common.