Skip to main content

Reply to "Push-off with the back leg???"

quote:
Originally posted by BlueDog:
There's been alot of talk lately about MLB hitters pushing off from the ground with the back leg....

Where's the push-off from the ground with the back leg?..I don't see it...

Looks like the back foot is being dragged forward to me...

If there is a push-off with the back leg, the back toe would be dug in, not being dragged up and forward and even getting airborne........

Now, something is pushing/pulling the backside, but, I sure don't see a push-off from the ground....

I see the back toe being pulled, instead...

Blue,

I push with my back leg from the time my front foot hits the ground until my belly button gets to the direction of the blow. Once the hands start forward after the elbow slots, the back leg will be pulled forward from the power of rotation. The more the up swing or the more out front the ball is struck (either or) will dictate how far the back foot will move and in what direction. I believe Lee and Pujols both do what I do. As far as Mays goes, the combination of and upward swing, inside pitch and his big lunge or dive forward caused his foot to leave the ground that much in the clip shown, IMO. I can't tell much from the clip of Manny, since it is later in the swing before it starts. I believe you can push, pull, or turn your hips open, some even use a combination of two or all three of those.