Skip to main content

Reply to "Push-off with the back leg???"

quote:
Originally posted by BlueDog:
quote:
If you are not pushing with your back leg...you will be spinning on your back toe and will get only half use of your legs as a power producer.

I think a clarification is in order, here...

I'm thinking you can push with the back leg with the glutes, hams and other muscles and not push-off the ground....

What I'm talking about is a push-off with the back leg from the ground...That is what I don't see happening....

I don't see the back foot being involved in the push....I see it being pulled up and forward....And, in some cases, sideways...

I agree that Chipper does not push with his back leg at the end of his swing, but he is riding his back leg while he closes his hips and as they start to open. He starts with closed hips and strides open, so the momentum of his hips help to pull his back leg through, but he has to be pushing against the ground to start the opening since all of his weight is on that leg. His arm action helps to keep his weight back and to keep his stretch until the last moment.

Chipper also closes his upper body more than most hitters and that momentum adds to the pulling of his back side and that is an addition to his power source. Also, it would be interesting to see a line drive swing and see where his back foot goes. It may be the same, but I would think it wouldn't come as far off the ground.