Skip to main content

Reply to "Push-off with the back leg???"

quote:
Originally posted by CoachB25:
I've tried to stay out of discussion since...

My 2 cents, I've never taught a player to push off of their back foot. In hitting, I never thought about it. Is there some resistance? Sure, and the same as walking or ... However, I think that purposly thinking push off is similar to those other "thoughts" that impede the swing process.

Long story short. One of my Dads brought in an instructor in the winter/spring of 2006. The Dad owns a barn and our team hits there every winter. One primary point this guy brought in was the push off. I've never had so much trouble getting the players back into a groove AND my team never got off to such a poor start.

I want you to think about this. Take the move Elvis used when he was on stage. Now, use that comparison to the front knee pointing in or hip load and then, the rear knee following. Use that mental image and look at some pro video. Now try it. You won't feel yourself push off the back foot AND you will be very quick with the hips.

Some video for this discussion and I'll take a hike again. It is refreshing to see a good discussion without all of the attacks. Thanks, I appreciate that.

Bonds:

Edmonds:

Pujos:

Lee:

Coach,

I actually teach the "Elvis" move, but I teach to use the big toe and pad of the big toe to push off of to get the knees moving. The front knee moves the hips closed and the back knee moves them back forward. Once the bat is in position to go forward and the hips are fully open, I teach to punch the back knee in the direction of the hit. Now...I guess that can be characterized as pushing with the glutes, hamstrings or pulling with them.

Here is how I teach hip rotation; I put a 5 gallon bucket between the hitters' legs between them and the plate and have them touch the bucket with their knees, front first and then back while turning their hips. If you do this drill, you will feel the pressure on the big toe and pad of the front toe and you will also realize that the knee had to pinch in and toward the plate to reach the bucket. This drill needs to be done without the head or body moving backwards or forwards. It has been very successful for me.