Skip to main content

Reply to "Question about PG Bat Rules for 2018 (13u/14u divisions)"

Buckeye 2015 posted:
Stats4Gnats posted:

Goblue33 posted: Thanks CaCO3...I was totally shocked when my 8th grader played in a USSSA touranment as a 14 year old and kids were using  32 inch -10 bats.  Very unsafe if you ask me. … 

What is unsafe about 32” -10 bat?

I think I know where you're going with this.  Had an argument with a friend when we were both coaching in our local junior high league (no sanctioning...swing what you bring).  Our guys were using -3 and -5.  He had kids swinging -8.  I couldn't get him to understand that if our kids were swinging a 32-27 or a 31-28 at the same bat speed as his kids swinging 31-23 that the extra weight of our bats would allow them it hit harder.  He just absolutely refused to believe it.....even though our kids were hitting balls 20-30' further on average than his kids.  My son actually tried one of their -8's....he was swinging a -3 and laughed when he couldn't get balls anywhere near what he was with his -3.  Even after seeing it, my friend stuck to his argument lol.    I wouldn't be real concerned with a 14 year old kid swinging a 22 oz bat.....I'd be more worried about the kid swinging the 32-29.

Are you guys taking into account that -3 means BBCOR now and the bat is not just heavier it's got thicker walls, or re-stricter rings and a really small sweet spot so the ball doesn't bounce off like it does with a -5 or -10 composite and kill the pitcher?    Sure a -3 BESR was better than a -10 USSSA BPF 1.15 in a big kids hands. That's not the point.  The point is BBCOR should be used for kids once they reach HS age because non-bbcor composite bats whether -10 or 5 have a ton of trampoline and the ball got to the pitcher so quickly they could injure him. That's the entire reason BBCOR and USA Bat Standard (which I hate) exist.    

Last edited by Goblue33