Skip to main content

Reply to "RAINY DAY THOUGHTS"

TR, great topic. I'm surprised more haven't chimmed in. I think I'd start with pitching at any level. Naturally, pitching requires a top of the line catcher. Good pitching and poor catching is a recipe for disaster. Next, you have to consider who your middle infielders are. You have to be strong up the middle. I think that a good team typically has a 1st baseman that can flat out hit. I would say this is true for 3rd as well. Oh, I forgot, in a perfect scenerio, that SS is a stud. In the OF, you have to consider both offense and defense but you have to make sure you CF can flat go get the ball.

TR, you've done this for a long time. I think you would agree that athletic abilities are important but the drive to excell has to come from the kid and not the parents. I think this has to be another factor. I don't know if you do interviews with the kid to determine their motivation or if you just watch them for an extended period of time. Again, I'm not telling you anything you haven't learned over the numerous years you've given back to your community but a child that isn't coachable will destroy your team. I think you HAVE TO BUILD A TEAM COMPRISED OF KIDS YOU REALLY LIKE. I've always been blessed in that regard here.

TR, again, GREAT TOPIC! Thanks!